Blankets are a necessity for every baby…
From day one, you can use a soft, lightweight, and comfortable blanket to keep your baby warm.
There are different types of baby blankets to use for your baby, which is based on his age and need.
In this article, we will be talking about:
- The different types of baby crib blankets
- Review of the top baby crib blankets
- Detailed buyers’ guide.
- ..and a lot More!
Let’s get started and cover these little ones tightly..
- 1 – BORITAR Baby Blanket
- 2 – Hudson Baby and Toddler Hooded Blanket
- 3 – BURT’S BEES Baby Blanket
- 4 – NTBAY Jersey Cotton Quilted Toddler Blanket
- 5 – NTBAY 3 Layer Toddler Blanket
- Buyers’ Guide: What To Consider When Buying Crib Blanket
- Our Verdict: Best Baby Crib Blanket
- Conclusion: Best Crib Blankets
First thing first…
Babies can sleep in the crib with loose blankets at around the age of 12 months, to avoid any suffocation or sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) scenarios from happening.
However, you can use the crib blanket anytime during the day or on the go while you keep an eye on your baby all the time.
Types Of Baby Blankets
There are two main types of baby blankets:
- Receiving Blanket: These blankets are lightweight, multifunctional, and usually come in a square shape.
- Security Blanket: This is a mini blanket that is suitable for newborn babies and little babies. Super soft pieces that have mini animals on the top for your baby to play with.
- Crib Blanket: This is the most common type. You can use it for the baby while at home or on the go. They are usually larger and thicker than the other baby blanket types.
- Swaddle Blankets: These blankets keep your baby tightly covered, comfortable, and warm. Usually, they wrap the upper side of the baby, while the lower side is easy to undo for diaper change.
- Wearable blanket: This is a safe blanket that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends to use for infants and little babies as a crib blanket alternative. Wearable blankets are also called sleep sacks or bags.
If you are looking for a crib blanket for your baby, keep scrolling down and pick a cozy blanket for your baby to stay warm all the time!
Related: Discover The 9 Best Crib Sheets For a Comfortable Night Sleep
1 – BORITAR Baby Blanket
Best Fleece Baby Blanket
Bottom Line: If you are looking for a soft and durable everyday blanket to use all year-round, look No further.
The texture helps in sensory development
The material is soft
Lightweight and keep the child warm
Double layered design
Recommended on cold wash only
The light side might be easy to spot
This soft blanket by Boritar has two sides; one side with a flat texture with a pattern and the other one has soft bumps.
The best part?
This blanket is suitable to use all year long; it is warm enough for cold days and nights, at the same time, it is lightweight for usual days.
When it comes to the overall size, it is good enough to use for tummy time, but not large enough to use for toddlers.
The quality of this blanket is perfect!
Feel free to wash it multiple times without worrying about its softness.. But keep in mind to use cold water only.
Besides, it is a great baby shower gift!
2 – Hudson Baby and Toddler Hooded Blanket
Best Animal Baby Blanket
Bottom Line: If you are looking for a lightweight baby blanket that is easy to carry around, then this is right for you.
The fabric is super soft
Safe to machine wash and dry
The hood offers extra warmth for the baby
The size is smaller than toddler’s blankets
Not heavy enough to use for cold weather
This adorable Hudson baby blanket is super soft and keeps your baby in a perfect warmth, at the same time, not too hot.
If your kid is a fan of animals, he will love the design of this blanket. It comes in many different animals like zebras, chickens, foxes, dogs, and elephants..
When it comes to the size, this blanket is more suitable for babies than for toddlers. However, it is lightweight for toddlers to cuddle as a security blanket while they grow up.
3 – BURT’S BEES Baby Blanket
Best Organic Baby Blanket
Bottom Line: This baby blanket has a breathable fabric, 100% organic, and soft. Perfect to sue in cold months.
Perfect material that doesn’t pill over time
Available in many patterns
Machine washable and safe on dryers
Comes in light patterns that are easy to stain
Shrinks after many washes
This organic baby blanket by Burt’s is super soft, breathable, and warm. Besides, it is thick enough t o use as a play mat.
The blanket’s design is double sided with different patterns and has stitching all over the edges to stay in shape over multiple washes.
The best part?
It is a super durable blanket that suits a growing family and lasts for several years, and the size fits babies from different sizes.
For cleaning, feel free to wash it and dry it in the machine, as it has a no-pill unique design.
4 – NTBAY Jersey Cotton Quilted Toddler Blanket
Best Breathable Baby Blanket
Bottom Line: If you are looking for a soft blanket to prevent any skin irritation, then this cotton baby blanket is perfect for you.
Available in many colors and patterns
Soft and lightweight material
Machine washable and safe on dryers
Not warm enough for cold nights and days
Less durable than other blankets
This breathable baby blanket by Ntbay keeps your baby comfortable all the time. The material used to make this blanket is jersey cotton, giving your baby a soft and airy touch.
The best part?
The microfiber filling helps the baby stay warm, at the same time, not overheated.
When it comes to the design, this blanket has stitches around the edges to keep it in shape after multiple washes and prevent it from falling apart.
Besides, you will always find a suitable pattern for your baby. As this blanket is available in more than 15 patterns and colors.
5 – NTBAY 3 Layer Toddler Blanket
Best Cotton Baby Blanket
Bottom Line: This cozy baby blanket is very durable, reversible, and breathable to suit a year-round use.
Versatile and durable design
Gives a cozy feeling
Less softer than other blankets
This baby blanket is 100% Muslin Cotton that has a three layer design, making it breathable, warm, and lightweight at the same time.
The best part?
It is comfortable and thick enough to use for tummy time.
Besides, the overall blanket design is versatile; some parents use it as crib padding, stroller blanket, and a mini throw blanket.
Keep in mind, it is less softer than other cotton crib blankets, so make sure to put it in the washing machine before you use it to make it less stiff and softer.
Buyers’ Guide: What To Consider When Buying Crib Blanket
Choose a blanket with a size adapted to your baby’s age and needs…
Indeed, a baby does not have the same needs as a 3 year old child. Also for safety reasons, a blanket will not be used in the same way depending on the age of your child.
Buying a baby blanket is logically associated with softness, warmth, and comfort. Indeed, who would want a knitted baby blanket that stings, irritates your baby or lets cold air through.
Above all, your baby blanket should be comfortable, breathable, and soft.
The important thing is to choose a blanket with a quality fabric so that it does not lose its softness over the washings.
Different materials are available to suit various needs; fleece, cotton, polyester, muslin, and bamboo.
The common fabrics are:
- Muslin: This material is breathable, lightweight, and stretchy enough to work as a swaddle blanket to keep the baby wrapped snugly. Besides, this fabric is super easy to wash and doesn’t stain easily.
- Wool: This material is suitable to use for cold weather, as the wool offers extra warmth for the baby. But you need to follow the caring instructions precisely to keep it in shape.
- Cotton or Organic Cotton: This is a breathable material that is soft, durable, and perfect for the baby’s sensitive skin. Plus, it is easy to clean.
- Fleece: this is a textured fabric that is perfect to use all year around. But it is less breathable than other fabrics.
- Jersey Knit: This material is lightweight, breathable, and stretchy, offering a cozy and soft feeling. Plus, it is easy to clean.
- Bamboo: This is a perfect fabric for sensitive skin. It is soft, comfortable, and breathable. Besides, it is safe to place on the machine washer and dryer.
- Minky: This is the bumpy textured fabric. Offers softness, coziness, and plushy feeling. However, it is less breathable than other blankets.
Needless to say, babies love to play and move all day long!
When it comes to infants, accidents happen most of the time, where they spit or experience a diaper blowout on some days and nights.
Besides, for some babies, the blanket is a must-have item that needs to stay around whatever they do; eating, playing, or sleeping…
I think you got the message!
We recommend you choose a durable blanket that withstand frequent washes and tough enough to deal with the childhood wear and tear.
Some blankets come with a special pilling design that prevents the edges from tearing away. On the other hand, other blankets offer non-fading patterns to enjoy along the journey.
Q1: What is the softest material for a baby blanket?
Cotton, fleece, cashmere, or wool fabrics are the most common ones for baby blankets. Usually, the wool fabrics are all-natural, 100% organic, and free of any synthetic fibers. Besides, it keeps your little one warm all the time by absorbing the moisture and reserving the temperature. Fleece material is the softest, lightest in weight, and easiest to clean.
Q2: When can you put blankets in the crib?
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), your baby can sleep with a crib blanket in his bed during the night when he is at least 12 months old. At this age, you baby can roll and move easier than before, which reduces the suffocation or SIDS possibilities. Before this age, you can use baby sleep sack or any kind of receiving blankets or swaddling blankets when you place your baby on his bed. Plus, avoid using any kind of pillows and make sure you use a fitted sheet to cover the mattress.
Q3: What is the best size for a baby crib blanket?
The size of the crib blanket depends on the baby’s age and size and the blanket’s intended use. Usually, they come in 30 inches square size, which is equivalent to 34 X 60 inches.
Our Verdict: Best Baby Crib Blanket
In this review, we covered everything you need to know about each of the mentioned crib blankets.
They are not the same, and each of the blankets offer something different to meet the various parents’ preferences and needs.
We compared the blankets based on their durability, softness, comfort, and ease of cleaning.
All you need to do now is to pick the one that meets your needs and budget.
Take a quick look at the results below..
|Product||Rating out of 5|
|BORITAR Baby Blanket||⭐ 4.5|
|Hudson Baby and Toddler Hooded Blanket||⭐ 4.25|
|NTBAY 3 Layer Toddler Blanket||⭐ 4.0|
|Burt’s Bees Baby Blanket||⭐ 3.75|
|NTBAY Jersey Cotton Quilted Toddler Blanket||⭐ 3.5|
Conclusion: Best Crib Blankets
As you can see..
Choosing the best crib blanket for your baby is not the easiest thing to do.
Different materials and sizes make you wonder which one to choose to keep your baby comfortable.
Finally, it is time to present our Top Pick, Best Value, and Editor Choice options.
- The Top Pick goes to: BORITAR Baby Blanket
- The Best Value goes to: Hudson Baby and Toddler Hooded Blanket
- The Editor’s Choice goes to: BURT’S BEES Baby Blanket
We hope you find this article helpful to find a suitable baby crib blanket that suits your needs and requirements.