Planning to go for a road-trip? Worried about the safety of your little one?
Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered here at Newbabysmell.com with our in-depth review of the best safety car seats to use for your kids…
While safety doesn’t happen by accident… We, as parents, must take the utmost care to make our kids safe whatever they do and wherever they go…
We are here to help you find the most suitable safety car seat for your little one with an in-depth product review of the 8 best safety car seats in the market..
In this definitive guide, we will be covering:
- Products comparison of the best baby safety car seats
- The three all-time best baby car seats
- A detailed buyer’s guide
- Lots more…
Let’s get started…
Related: The Best Baby Carriers and Slings
- Most Cost-effective Car Seat
- Best Safety Car Seat With Air Cushion System
- Best Baby Car Seat With a Stroller Combination
- Highest Shock Resistance Safety Car Seat
- Best And Most Popular Booster Seat
- Best Car Seat for Infants
- Best Safety Car Seat With U-shaped Protective Bar
- 7 – Britax Boulevard Convertible Car Seat
- Lightest Safety Car Seat
- Buyers Guide:
- Types Of Car Seats
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Our Analysis, Comparisons & Test Results
- Our Final Verdict: Best Baby Safety Seat
- Conclusion: Best Baby Car Seats
Let’s be realistic…
Its always necessary to use car seat for your baby whenever they are in the car..
Wherever you go and whatever time it takes you to get to your destination, the safety of you and your family is the #1 priority that must be taken into consecration All the time..
To give you a big picture…
Upon the safety regulations and according to the American Academy of Pediatrics:
- For children under one year old, the use of safety seats can reduce the risk by 71%.
- For children from 4 to 8 years old, the use of heightened safety seats can reduce the risk by 45%.
- For adults and older children, the risk of death and significant injuries can be reduced by 50% by using the seal belts.
Whatever your child’s age is, you will find a car seat that suits his age, weight, and height to protect him along the way.
So, stay with us to make the drive safe mommy and daddy…
Most Cost-effective Car Seat
1 – Graco Extend2Fit 3-in-1 Car Seat
- Impressive price
- Removable and retractable foot cushion
- long rear-facing (up to 50 lbs)
- Average quality
- Challenging belt installation
- Less comfortable
Graco Extend2Fit 3-in-1 Car Seat has many safety features, like a reinforced steel tube frame inside, which effectively strengthens the overall stability of the safety seat and protects the child’s riding safety.
The headrest has a built-in shock-resistant EPS material cushioning design, which reduces the external impact, strengthens the protection of the headrest flanks, and effectively protects the child’s spine and head.
The five-point safety belt and non-slip buckle can prevent the child from moving to both sides and improve the safety factor.
- The safety seat can be installed front or rear facing.
- There are 6 levels of inclination that can be adjusted.
- You can easily sit or lie down on the seat.
- The headrest has 10 height adjustments, allowing the child to ride comfortably at every stage.
- There are also movable and retractable foot cushions, which can be adjusted in 4 gears to meet the developmental needs of the child.
- This seat can accompany the child from birth to 12 years old, and accompany the child’s entire childhood.
- High-quality fabrics, delicate touch, fully-wrapped armrests, comfortable to place and prevent small hands from slipping.
There are cup holders on both sides of the seat, which are convenient for placing baby bottles, drinks, etc., and small toys can also be placed to make the baby more fun in the car and satisfy the baby’s playful nature.
Best Safety Car Seat With Air Cushion System
2 – Maxi-Cosi Pria 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat
- Built-in safety air cushion
- Available in five styles
- Thickened shoulder straps
- The cup holder is a little bit small
- Large in size
- Challenging to install
This Maxi-Cosi three-in-one safety seat has a frame that adopts a high-pressure injection molding process.
The seat body is integrally formed, which can effectively resist the momentary strong external impact and has a strong resistance to deformation.
The inclination angle of the seat backrest can be adjusted in three stages, allowing you to sit or lie down, which is comfortable and natural.
The headrest has five height adjustments, which are suitable for the height of babies of different ages and meet the needs of different body types.
- This safety seat is available in three modes, allowing the baby to be an older child (100 pounds) from the very beginning, and can be used for a long time.
- The seat belt bolt has a reinforcement function, which can only be pressed by an adult to prevent the baby’s wrong operation and cause accidents.
- The U-shaped headrest and side cushions have built-in safety air cushions, which can effectively cushion the impact from the side.
- The thickened additional sponge backrest provides soft support for the baby’s spine, and the additional backrest is detachable.
- The newly upgraded skin-friendly fabric has a smoother feel, fits baby’s skin perfectly, does not fade easily, does not fold easily, and has good water absorption.
- The safety seat is equipped with a double-sided cup holder, which can hold baby bottles, water bottles, etc., so babies can get them when they need them.
Best Baby Car Seat With a Stroller Combination
3 – Graco Modes Travel System
- Car seat and stroller combination
- Both car seat and stroller have awnings
- The stroller has a detachable dinner plate
- High safety performance
- The stroller has a short service life
- Heavy stroller
This Graco safety seat + stroller combination is convenient and comfortable to use.
Whether you are walking outside, shopping with a stroller, or traveling in a long distance, these are the best companions for your baby.
Both the stroller and the car seat are equipped with awnings, so that while the baby can enjoy the sun, it also avoids direct sunlight to the baby, and can also protect the baby from wind and rain.
- The headrest on the safety seat is filled with breathable and skin-friendly cotton, which is soft and comfortable.
- It is also equipped with a safety non-slip buckle to prevent the baby from slipping off while sitting or lying down.
- The shoulder strap has multiple length adjustments, which are easy and convenient to adapt to the different growth stages of the baby, and the seat belt is easy to adjust its tightness to make the baby sit more comfortably.
- The safety performance of this safety chair has passed the most rigorous crash test, and its safety performance is very high.
The supporting stroller has an aluminum alloy structural frame, which is not easy to rust and paint, and the beauty and texture coexist.
It is also equipped with a detachable dinner plate, which can be immediately switched to the dining chair mode, which is simple and quick, and easy to disassemble and clean.
The bottom of the stroller also has an extra-wide storage basket with enclosures. Mothers can carry all kinds of baby’s items, such as water cups, baby clothes, diapers, etc., conveniently and quickly.
The textured wheels are non-slip and wear-resistant and can rotate 360° at will.
Highest Shock Resistance Safety Car Seat
4 – Britax One4Life ClickTight All-In-One Car Seat
- Comfortable fabric
- Base energy absorption
- Easy installation
- Higher price
This Britax safety seat is equipped with multiple safety technologies to protect your baby’s safety from the inside out.
The high-profile dual side pad protection protects the baby’s head, neck, etc., and can also focus on protecting the baby’s delicate core parts.
Built-in strong stainless steel structure, strong and stable.
- The sectional detachable has a soft inner liner, easy to disassemble, easy to clean, and easy to dry as well. There is also a detachable double cup holder, made of high-quality plastic material, which is safe and non-toxic and is not easy to breed bacteria.
- The inclination of the seat can be adjusted in multiple angles, making the baby comfortable and natural.
- The U-shaped depth headrest protects the head, is shock- and pressure-resistant, and is not easy to deform. It can also increase the degree of wrapping and effectively absorb the impact generated by side impact.
Easy installation and MORE…
This safety seat is easy to install, ready to use. High-grade material injection molding process, one-piece molding, the seat frame is rich in texture and strong impact resistance.
The red base at the bottom has an energy-absorbing effect. When impacted by an external force, it will shrink slightly, which can effectively absorb huge external energy and protect the baby.
Best And Most Popular Booster Seat
5 – Graco TurboBooster Grow High Back Booster Seat
- The booster seat and cushion can be separated
- Easy to adjust and clean
- 3 modes of use
- The cushion is easy to vacuum
- Small and narrow booster
- No enough leg room
- Less comfortable
The Graco TurboBooster Grow High Back Booster Seat has unique and easy to remove premium lower anchor connectors.
The RightGuide seat belt trainer separates from the seat to be a highly portable booster seat.
It also has high back and backless modes that can be used with or without the RightGuide seat belt trainer
The TurboBooster Grow comes in 3 main pieces, with the two dishwasher-safe cupholders for a more convenient use..
Extra Padding feature…
The TurboBooster Grow includes a rather robust piece of extra padding on the back.
Also, the cushion is comfortable and natural, which helps to support the baby’s legs and buttocks.
For the installation… it is just super simple.
The seat includes premium, push-button style lower anchors that are a little different from the lower anchor connectors we know.
Instead of the entire button being pressed to release them, there’s an easy-release button that releases with just a finger.
And when the baby grows up, you can use the booster seat instead of the backrest, which will give you more riding space.
Best Car Seat for Infants
6 – Chicco KeyFit 30 Infant Car Seat
- Easy to install Latch
- Reasonable price
- Stroller Compatibility
- Short service life
- Heavy to carry
- Hard to install without the base
This Chicco keyfit car seat is one of best infant car seats that has multiple uses and the stroller options make it convenient for travel.
The infant insert makes the child more comfortable and offers forward and rear facing positions. Plus, the car seat base offers more stability and protection.
Here are some important safety features of this Chicco KeyFit 30:
- The design of reclining degree adjustable: The recline degree of the safety seat can be adjusted, which provides the child with a perfect sitting and lying position. This is very critical and beneficial to the child’s bone growth.
- Bubble Level Indicator: It can be connected to the spring on the base, and adjust the front and rear balance of the child seat, so that the safety seat can be installed smoothly and reliably to prevent accidents.
- Super Cinch Latch Tightener: It can be used to tighten the connection of the Latch, thereby further ensuring the stability of the installation process, and can avoid the child’s wrong operation and prevent the safety belt from falling off.
Corresponding to this car seat, customers usually buy the Chicco baby stroller
Best Safety Car Seat With U-shaped Protective Bar
7 – Britax Boulevard Convertible Car Seat
- Easy installation with an indicator
- Easy to adjust and use
- A little bit heavy
- Needs to hand-wash and line-dry the cover
This car chair can be installed forward or Backward facing:
- The reverse installation is suitable for babies weighing 5-40 pounds, which can effectively protect the child’s cervical spine and head, and is safer
- The forward installation is suitable for babies weighing 20~65 pounds, which can broaden the field of vision and satisfy the curiosity of babies
When it is installed, there is a safety indicator light next to it. If there are any installation mistakes, the indicator light will remind you and emit a “click” sound to ensure that the safety seat is firmly installed.
Lightest Safety Car Seat
8 – Safety 1st Grow and Go All-in-One Car Seat
- Many styles are available
- Five-point seat belt design
- Lightweight and portable
- Breathable fabric
- Bulky in the back when reclined
- The cup holder is hard to clean
- Shoulder straps are not stain resistant
This safety seat can be installed front or rear facing.
With two child pillows, you can make your child feel comfortable and warm. You can remove the pillow when summer comes.
- This safety car seat has multiple layers of thickening. The head support, with high-quality space cotton inside, has good resilience, is comfortable to lean, and is not easy to squeeze and deform.
- Protective side padding option is added on both sides of the head support to effectively prevent side impacts.
- The advanced cushioning materials used can absorb huge external impacts and support the head and neck.
The car seat is also equipped with a five-point seat belt design, covering the five directions of the key parts of the child to ensure the highest safety
This safety chair can accompany children from birth to childhood, however, needs to be taken care of to make it durable
Why Trust Us?
Newbabysmell reviewed many kinds of car seats in terms of protection and comfort level, installation method, and values included to assist you in meeting your needs..
We used our everyday experience together with the buyers’ reviews to deeply identify which car seats have the highest performers.
Each seat in our reviews went through a variety of in-house and in-car evaluations so that we can compare the car seats apples-to-apples.
Whether you are parents-to-be or already have kids, the first thing that comes to your mind when thinking about your kids is their SAFETY…
…. and since your reading this article, I believe you are looking for a car seat that best suits your little one(s)…
Trust me, You are in the right place….
This ultimate review matches the parents’ point of view and has everything you are looking for to enjoy the ride with the growing buddies next to you.
Babies are special…
You cannot find a single baby product that fits all babies.. it is all based on the little one’s preference
you will find that one that makes you say ” YUPPP.. this is what I was looking for!”
Just keep reading…
How To Choose The Best Safety Car Seat?
According to the baby’s age, height, and weight:
When choosing a safety seat, the most important factor is to choose a suitable safety seat according to the baby’s age, weight, and height.
In this article, we have introduced four common types of safety seats:
- For infants under 1 year old: you can choose an infant safety seat or a convertible safety seat; the safety seat needs to be backward
- For children over 1 year old and under 4 years old: you can choose a convertible safety seat; for children under 2 years old, the safety seat needs to face the rear of the car; and for children over 2 years old, the safety seat can be forward
- For children over 4 years old: you can choose to increase the safety seat, the safety seat can be forward
Safety Car Orientation
When installing a safety seat in a car, there are two options:
Different types of safety seats have different requirements when installing:
- Baby seat: backward
- Convertible seat: backward/forward (for children under 2 years old, the seat needs to be backward)
- Booster seat: forward
- All-in-one safety seat: forward/backward
According to the recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics, children younger than 2 years old must be seated backward.
Car Seat Installation
There are two main methods for installing a safety seat on a car seat:
- LATCH: A child seat interface. Any car produced after September 2002 is equipped with a LATCH system.
- Car seat belt: You can use the car seat belt to install the car seat on the back seat of the car.
LATCH installation method:
- First find two fixed device interfaces (Lower Anchor) in the rear seat of the car.
- Then place the safety seat on the rear seat, insert the connecting rod of the safety seat into the lower anchor interface, and use a little force.
- Make sure the connection is firm, and finally connect the Tether Latch ring on the back of the car seat.
- After the connection is complete, you can shake the car seat left and right to ensure that the connection is firm.
Car Seat Belt Design
The 5-point harness is the safest and most versatile baby seat belt design.
The so-called five points, that is, the shoulders, hips, and legs on both sides of the human body are protected by safety belts and can evenly distribute the pressure on all parts of the body.
When impacted by an external force, such as a car’s emergency braking or a sharp turn, the five-point seat belt can effectively disperse the impact, reduce the local impact force, and minimize the degree of injury.
This kind of seat belt design is safe and comfortable…
Its tightness is easy to adjust, and it can fit the baby’s body more perfectly, making the baby more comfortable.
The service life of the safety seat is generally 3~12 years.
We recommend that you stop using it after the service life is exceeded. Because the components of the safety seat may age, related functions will be lost, and safety performance will be greatly reduced.
Car Seat Brand
Each brand offers something special in their models, which is perfect to meet and satisfy a wide variety of users…
The famous brands of safety seats include Graco, Britax, Chicco, Evenflo, Nuna, Maxi-Cosi, Safty 1st, and more…
- Graco: originated in the United States. It is one of the world’s leading baby products manufacturers. It started in 1945 and has focused on the design, development, and production of baby products for more than 70 years. The price of Graco child safety seats is usually between $100~$1500.
- Britax: A British Britax Group Child Safety Products Company, was established in 1936. It is a professional company that designs, produces, and sells car child safety seats, strollers, and travel products. The most famous one is Britax Children Safety seats. The price is usually between $150~$5000.
- Evenflo: Baby Xiaole, established in the United States in 1920. It is a leading brand in the manufacturing industry of infant products worldwide. The price of Evenflo child safety seats is usually between $60~$4500.
- Nuna: originated in the Netherlands and was established in 2007. It mainly produces baby products and has a wide range of praise around the world. The price of Nuna child safety seats is usually between $50~$2300.
- Maxi-Cosi: a global brand originating in the Netherlands, has always been known for its safety, reliability, ease of use, and durability. It is one of the largest manufacturers of child car seats in the world. Maxi-Cosi child safety The price of the seat is usually between $140~$1200.
- Safety 1st: Originated from the United States, it is the largest safety product brand in the United States. Founded in 1984, it focuses on the development and sales of children’s car travel safety, children’s home safety protection, and other products. The price of Safety 1st child safety seats is usually Between $100~$1500.
With all that being said, here are few tips to keep in mind while using the baby safety seat:
- Avoid buying a second-hand child car seat – car seats do expire
- Read and follow the car seat instructions and labels before using it
- Make sure that the child doesn’t travel in too many clothes – especially heavy ones
- Get rid of the car seat after any moderate to a severe traffic accident, it may have suffered structural damage
Types Of Car Seats
Car seats are generally suitable for children from 0 to 12 years old and are installed in the back of the car when in use to protect the safety of the child
Safety seat types can generally be divided into four categories – based on the height and weight limit:
Infant Car Seat
- It is mainly suitable for infants (birth to 1 year old) and needs to be installed using the car seat base with the rear facing position for higher protection
- Some infant car seats can be directly installed on the matching stroller after being removed from the car seat, which is convenient and practical.
- Infant seats use a 5 point harness to tie up the child tightly with a special infant insert to ensure the safety of the child
Convertible Car Seat
Because of the weight limit it is generally suitable for babies under 50 pounds.
It can be installed in forward and rear facing positions, depending on the child age
With that being said…
It needs to be installed in a rear-facing position for babies under one year old, and forwards for children over 2 years old
The convertible car seat uses a five-point harness (chest clips) to ensure the safety of the child.
All-in-one Car Seat
This is a comprehensive safety car seat and a fusion of various previous seats.
The all-in-one safety seat is more cost-effective, and a set of all-in-one safety seats can meet the various needs of the child. It has a long service life, and the function of the seat matches with the age of the child.
It is generally suitable for children over 4 years old. The main function is to increase the child’s riding height so that the child’s height meets the vehicle seat belt design standards.
It can effectively buffer the external impact when a collision occurs or the car suddenly accelerates or decelerates.
Booster seats are installed forward. At the same time, there is generally no five-point seat belt design. Thus, It is necessary to use the car’s seat belt to tie the child to the booster seat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Why do I have to use car seats?
Children need to use car seats. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, the use of car seats can maximize the safety of children.
Q2: Installing a car seat: what is the safest place in the car?
According to the crash tests results, it was revealed that the safest place in the car is located in the rear of the passenger compartment in the middle.
Q3: What if my child flatly refuses to sit in the car seat?
There is no other way but to try to explain to the child that any trip is possible only in a car seat with seat belts fastened. Try to keep your little one entertained during the ride. Children’s stories or audio recordings are good tools.
In any case, the child seat must be comfortable and meet all safety and quality requirements.
Our Analysis, Comparisons & Test Results
Finally… here comes the final result…
All car seats reviewed by Newbabysmell meet the Federal Safety Standards & strict crash performance standards.
So they all safe to use for your little one…
Thus, our comparison is about the main features most parents consider when buying a baby car seat, which are:
- Value for money
- Service life
- Comfort level
- Ease of Installation
Below, we lined up the 8 best safety car seats on the same platform to give you a comparative analysis.
And here you go…
Value For Money
This means to get something worth the money you pay for..
It also means not to go for the expensive option just because you think it is worth it
Noting that the combination of comfort, service life, installation method determines whether your choice is worth the investment or not..
So we reviewed all these 8 safety car seats in terms of these features and made it easy for you to closely compare the available options
Let’s now see the results…
Based on our comparison…
- The top car seat in terms of the value it provides is the Graco travel system.
The features it provides give extra values for the user, thus, worth the price you pay for…
- The Chicco infant seat offers a relatively short service life, and the Graco Affix Highback Booster Seat is not as comfortable and easy to install as the other brands, which is why they are the bottom of the list.
However, they do better in other features and the choice depends on what the parents are looking for…
- Both Britax safety care seats come in the second place of the list, as they show average comfort level.
However, they do very great with the installation process, as they are both very easy to use and install…
- The Safety 1st seat is not comfortable enough, the Graco Extend2Fit 3-in-1 is not comfortable too and is hard to install as well, and the Maxi-Cosi is a little bit challenging to install as well, which is why they got in the third place of the list..
Again, to choose the most suitable seat for your child, the first thing to take into consideration is their age and weight..
- Some are for newborns and up to a few months, oriented backward, convertibles, and 3-in-1s.
- The forward-facing safety car seats offer higher height and weight limits than those indicated for the rear-facing position, allowing for longer use in this way.
Newbabysmell review took into consideration the importance of the service life aspect on the buyers’ decision and included it in the comparison result..
Let’s now see the results…
Clearly, The Chicco infant seat is at the bottom of the list in this section because it is the most suitable for infants and little babies and as the baby grows up it will be so tight and uncomfortable…
The Graco 3-in-1 and Booster are in the top because they serve around 12 years, which is the longest…
You can see that the Safet 1st car seat also serve for around 10 year, yet, you need to take a good care of it to make it durable…
The rest of the car seats serve for average of 5-10 years, which is the most common service period for the majority of the safety seats…
Besides being a safe chair, it also has to be comfortable, since the child will use it for a long time..
To do this you must look at the recline positions.
As the baby grows, the recline position gives a more upright position, which means being more comfortable during its service life.
We included this aspect in our deep review to help you choose the best option
Let’s now see the results…
Based on our comparison…
The Graco travel system and Maxi-Cosi seats are at the top of the list due to the extra features they provide like the awnings, air cushion, and reclining options that make it more comfortable for the baby
Graco 3-in-1 car seat is the least in the comfortable level as the latch is a little bit hard to be tighten which makes the seat wiggle a little bit when the car is moving, and the belt itself is also tough to tighten as well.
The Safety 1st car seat is the lightest in terms of item weight. This feature is highly needed for people who like the easy portable seats, however, it makes the seat not as steady as other brands..
also, the Britax one4life Seat leg room is a little bit small for older kids, and the headrest looses by time which makes the seat rattles while the car is moving
The Graco Booster cushion is not that stable and the size of the sear is a little bit wider than the others reviewed seats, because it is made for older kids.. and these features make it less comfortable
The rest of the safety seats are doing the average level with being comfortable, which is again the accepted level by most of the parents...
Ease of Installation
Car safety seats can be installed with the vehicle’s seat belt or its LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Tether Straps for Children).
- LATCH is a car safety seat attachment system.
- The lower anchors can be used in place of the seat belt to install the seat, and many parents find them easier to use in some cars.
- The top strap enhances the safety provided by the seat and is important to use for all forward-facing seats, even those installed with the car seat belt.
While the seat belt and LATCH systems are just as safe, parents may prefer one system or the other
Let’s now see the results…
Based on our comparison…
The Graco 3-in-1 and Maxi-Cosi seats have a belt design that is a little bit challenging to install and the straps are hard to be tightened to the vehicle seats.
The Maxi-Cosi seat also is challenging to install, and the strap is hard to be tightened because the adjustable strap is located on one side not on both.
The Chicco Keyfit doesn’t install well without the base, the Safety 1st seat latch is a little bit hard to be snug, and the Graco Booster belt is easy to be unbuckled by the child..
The rest of the car seat are doing really good in terms of the installation, which is why they are at the top of the list…
Our Final Verdict: Best Baby Safety Seat
We’re almost done with the detailed reviews…
It’s time for you to stop and check out the final results.
We have all 8 safety car seats lined up here based on their performance and features
As you can see all of them include specific and unique features. All you have to do at the moment is to pick the one that best suits your little one
The Graco Modes Travel System got at the the top of the list.. In general, Graco has brought their simulation travel system game.
This is a very good stroller with many options due to reversible and movable seats. The baby car seat is easy to use, even if it is not locked.
The stroller steers very well on four sturdy wheels..
Families who want a full-size travel system stroller may be very satisfied with the Graco mode system
So the final choice will rely upon your exact needs and budget…
Conclusion: Best Baby Car Seats
Time to wrap everything up…
These reviewed products excel in ease-of-installation, quality, and protection analysis…
They are all safe to be used for your baby..
Each option offers something a little different than the competitor, providing excellent choices for varying needs and budgets.
its’s the time to look at out top 3 picks in this best 5 washable baby cloth wipes..
- The Editor’s choice goes to: Graco Extend2Fit 3-in-1 Car Seat
- The Best Value choice goes to: Britax Boulevard Convertible Car Seat
- Newbabysmell choice goes to: Graco Modes Travel System
You should narrow down the list first by choosing the best for your child’s age, as each age has its specific needs that should be taken into consideration to ensure providing the highest level of protection..
I hope you enjoyed this article – you might also want to check out The Top 10 Baby Strollers